Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Wake Up Winnipeg - The Importance of Music in A Child's Life



The Importance of Music in A Child's Life.
By: Andru Valpy - Wake Up Winnipeg & The Aimless And Andy Show

I had the opportunity to host the Chickadee Big Top family stage at the 2010 Winnipeg Folk Festival from July 7 through July 11th 2010 in Winnipeg's Birds Hill Park.

Though I have Em-Cee'd and Hosted many stages in my life, none of them have made such an impact on me as the one I walked away with during this festival.

Immediately upon stepping up to the microphone, and looking down on a tent full of little eyes, big smiles, and happy parents, I was put into a child like zone where I could be goofy and silly and not worry about what people would think. . . an effect I'm sure most people who have been exposed to children can appreciate. Hey, let's face it. . . we're all kids at heart.

But what I valued the most is the fact that the parents and families had a place to bring their children to be entertained. . . and that they were.

I had the chance to see some wonderful and creative talents, based locally and internationally.

Some of the artists I crossed paths with and came to know over the weekend include:


Each one of these Artists or groups were very creative in their deliverance to the families and children in attendance.

But It wasn't until Aaron Nigel Smith invited me to play drums with him and his own family during his show that I came to really appreciate just how important music can be for children.

While I was drumming with Aaron, it suddenly reminded me of all of the music I was exposed to as a child growing up in Vancouver.

After really listening and exploring the rest of the music that was being played on the stage from the above mentioned artists, I understood just how important music was to me as a kid..and how much of a impact was being made not only on me that weekend, but on the beady little eyes looking up excitedly at these 'not so grown up' entertainers.

It was then that I had decided to write this review, and remind those of you just how important music is the eyes of a child.

It is my opinion that being continuously exposed to positive music at such a young age can really shape the future growth and development of an individual.

I have come to appreciate child entertainers all over again and have an understanding that they act as messengers to our children and their futures.

Some of the lyrics I heard encouraged children to "nicely stand up to bullies", dream as much as they can, use their imagination, and dance for the sake of dancing.

I encourage you personally to help your children grow musically.

In doing so, you will be opening their ears and expanding their minds which will allow them to grow up creatively and will help them develop their own understandings of the universal language of music.

Please take a moment to review some of the artists I've mentioned above...you just might find yourself drumming and dancing along too.

-Av.

No comments:

Post a Comment