Thursday, July 15, 2010

Wake Up Winnipeg - Episode 50



Hosted Live/Produced/Recorded
by: Andru Valpy
Air Date: 7/15/2010
on CJUM 101.5 UMFM - 6:00 PM
Download Location iTunes.
Rebroadcast: 7/21/2010
on CJUM 101.5 UMFM - 6:30 AM

On this weeks episode of Wake Up Winnipeg I had the chance to talk to some amazing artists.

Our interviews started with NEeMA live from the West End Cultural Centre on July 6th, 2010 just before her show. In our conversation that was aired today, we touched on her new self titled album earlier that week.

(Thanks D.S!)

It was during this conversation that I learned a little more about NEeMA's musical journey and what it was like to work with Leonard Cohen and other wonderful talents that she had the blessings to work with in the Montreal area.

Due to time constraints, I only had a chance to air a portion of our conversation but I anticipate posting the entire interview in iTunes shortly.

In the mean time, my review of NEeMA may be found BY CLICKING HERE.

After talking to Neema on this weeks episode, I started to air the first of our Winnipeg Folk Festival interviews with some awesome artists who I am super happy to have met.

I started it off with the full interview with Rock Plaza Central who are based in Toronto Ontario, Canada.

I had learned about them thanks to King of Co-Hosts Aimless Paul (from The Aimless & Andy Show and UMFM's Drifter in The Dark) earlier last year as I was heading down to the 10,000 lakes festival in Detroit Lakes Minnesota.

While I was at 10KLF, I had a chance to see the band in action which was just plain awesome.

It wasn't until the interview that I learned a little more about their 24 hours at 10klf which you heard on Today's episode.

It was awesome getting to know them and as stated in my interview, I look forward to following their band.

(Thanks Jim!)

Next up, I had the opportunity to hit up Australian artist Harry James Angus who is from the band The Cat Empire.

We had an awesome discussion in which we talked about this years festival, and how he as an Australian felt about the Canadian Music Scene and what the perception of it is like down in Australia.

Turns out he knows our friends from Blue King Brown who played at last years Jazz Winnipeg Festival. I definitely told him to give a shout-out and hello to our dear friend Jess Harlen who he was familiar with.

During this interview, I learned what it would take to get The Cat Empire to tour in Canada again....you should probably tune in to find out!



Last, but certainly not least was our interview with Hot Tuna which is composed of former Jefferson Airplane members Jack Casady and Jorma Kaukonen along side friend Barry Mitterhoff.

During this interview, I asked about the spirit of festivals from Woodstock to now, and also learned about the evolution of Hot Tuna, where the name came from, and also a little more about a teaching initiative the members have started at Fur Peace Ranch.

It was great to hear that the overall spirit of festivals have not changed since that famous day in upstate new york.



Over all, I am quite pleased with the beginnings of our Winnipeg Folk Festival exploration and look forward to posting all of the interviews in full in iTunes at a later date.

Realistically, we will be posting them once they have aired exclusively on my home station of CJUM 101.5 FM before I share them to the world.

All and all, there were many a great story that have come from volunteering at this years festival and I look forward to sharing them with you all on our blog, fan pages, on air and online in the upcoming days.

Until then, a BIG thank you goes out to all of the volunteers, organizers, promoters, labels, and artists that helped support this weeks episode...the big 50.

I look forward to talking to you all next week and on upcoming podcasts on the Aimless & Andy Show iTunes library.

Until then, peace, love, and rock & roll.

-Av

No comments:

Post a Comment